Apart from the above mentioned triggers, backache can be caused by a number of other conditions.
· Osteoarthritis (OA): with increasing age, the joints of the backbones undergo degeneration. OA of the joints that link one vertebra to its neighboring ones (called the facet joints) causes back pains.
· Herniated Discs (disc prolapse): > any heavy strain or increased pressure in the back can displace the round, resilient discs which act as shock absorbers for the back bones. They cushion every impact on the back such as when jogging, weight lifting, horse-riding etc. injuries, normal wear and tear, and diseases that affect the backbones can cause minor tears on the disc surfaces as well as make them bulge out from their places. Displaced discs can press on surrounding nerves and cause pain, tingling & numbness in the legs.
· Injuries and fractures of the vertebrae (backbone): conditions that cause nerve, bone and tissue injury can cause backache ' vehicular accidents, fall from a bike, fall on the back compressing the structures in the back.
· Compression of the spinal cord itself (Spinal stenosis): the spinal cord travels through a narrow, hollow shaped bony canal called the 'spinal canal'. With aging, the lumen of this canal tends to become narrow, compressing the contents within it. Backache is a common symptom of spinal stenosis.
· Deformities: often the backbone curvature is damaged secondary to other diseases. The alignment which is usually straight tends to deviate either to the sides (scoliosis) or appear bent forwards (kyphosis). Long-term mal-alignment of the vertebral column can cause tremendous stress and strain on the supportive muscles that surround it. This usually gives rise to backache.
· Occupational: many occupations can take a toll on your back. If your work requires long hours of standing, lifting of heavy weights or sitting in an uncomfortable position, your back will possibly suffer.
· Athletes are very prone to low back aches.
Types of backache may be varying from a short span of stiffness and pain, to chronic continuous intense pain that creates hindrance in day-to-day activities. The pain may be radiating (spread out) or localised (in one place). It may be in the lower back area radiating to the legs (sciatica), or located in the neck radiating to the hands. It might be an inter-vertebral disc bulge, herneation, and prolapse. Treatment of back pain should only be done after diagnosing the types of backache.
Everybody experiences backache or back pain some time in life and it assumes significance to look into this phenomenon in this age given the change in lifestyle and the increase in deskbound jobs that expect one`s back to be straight and sturdy. The spinal cord that actually aches in a backache is an essential and vital bone of the body also known as the life bone and is a composition of muscles, bones and elastic tissue. The spine at the centre of the back is made of 24 block bones, piled one above the other. The spine holds the body upright and ensures mobility of the body. Inter-vertebral discs cushion in between the bony blocks to keep the bones from rubbing each other. Inter-vertebral discs facilitate movement and act as shock absorbers for the back.
Acute Backache is the intense type of backache that indicates back strain due to lifting of a heavy object, a fall or a violent jerk as in case of a sudden car brake. Another type is from injury, road accident, fall of a heavy object, fracture of the spine, and dislocation of a vertebral disk. Chronic Backache is usually the spondylitis, where a vertebra slips forward on the lower one, usually just above the hipbone. In case of a slipped disk, the disks act as cushions between two vertebral bones; the reason may be an injury to the spine, which is forgotten, degeneration of the disk due to old age or other reasons.
Different types of backache are the common ailments of human body, which if not given its due share of attention and concern can create disorder in the most intense manner to the body. The back that keeps the body steady and helps mobility can cause immense difficulty in continuing with routine tasks if not taken care of. Back pain, discomfort and inability to carry routine tasks are common hindrances brought about by a backache.